It’s no secret that making cupcakes can take a lot of your time, especially if you want them to be well-decorated and presentable. With that in mind, using robust and sturdy cupcake carriers to prevent squishing or other damage sounds more than reasonable. Besides, where is the joy in eating cupcakes if they’re not preserved.
However, storing and carrying cupcakes so that they look the same as when they were baked can be difficult. There are a lot of storage options and carries that will help you keep your cookies safe.
Given the selection is large, we took our time to review the best cupcake carriers to make your cupcake ventures safer and more joyous.
In the Post
- Everything You Need to Know About Cupcake Carriers
- How to Maintain Your Cupcake Carrier
- The Best Cupcake Carriers
- 1. Best Overall: Snapware Snap ‘N Stack 2-Layer Cupcake Carrier
- 2. Runner Up: VonShef Snap and Stack Cupcake Storage Carrier
- 3. Best Budget: Wilton Ultimate 3-In-1 Cupcake Caddy and Carrier
- 4. Best 3-tier Cupcake Carrier: Sweet Creations 3 Tier Cupcake Carrier
- 5. Best Large Cupcake Carrier: Cupcake Courier Cupcake Carrier
- Features to Consider When Shopping for The Best Cupcake Carriers
- We Also Reviewed
Everything You Need to Know About Cupcake Carriers
For those who don’t know, cupcake carriers are storage boxes specially designed for muffins and cupcakes that need to be stored away so that their quality is preserved.
This container-like storage box can be used for you to either store your cupcakes and close them in an air-free box for storage, or transport them in case you want to gift them to someone. They are most commonly used by clumsy kitchen enthusiasts who are too scared of knocking them down or squishing them.
Lastly, people who bake cupcakes frequently can find using storing containers more practical than not doing it. All in all, there is a vast number of brands and different cupcake carriers in the market. To make this hassle-less, we reviewed the best and most practical options.
Commonly Found Types of Cupcake Carriers
As we said earlier different types of cupcake carriers can accommodate different purposes. We listed them to help you see what you’d need the most.
- Disposable cupcake carriers – These are the most common cupcake carriers and the most affordable ones. They are commonly found in bakeries and patisseries, where you order cupcakes that won’t last you long. Disposable cupcake carriers are the best when you’re sending a gift to someone, but the material they are made of isn’t of the best quality.
- Tiered cupcake carriers – The most common types of cupcake carriers include the two-tier and three-tier cupcake carriers. The first can store up to 24 cupcakes, while the latter can be used with up to 36 cupcakes, and sometimes even more. They are usually made out of plastic or some other material that can ensure sturdiness and durability.
- Collapsible – Some cupcake carriers are collapsible. That means that they can shrink to a certain size to be more suitable for smaller cabinets and kitchen storage. Collapsible carriers can also have multiple tiers.
Note: Some disposable cupcake carriers can have multiple tiers too. However, the disposable in their name means that they can’t be used for the long term and are the best if you’re selling cupcakes in your bakery or sending them as a gift.
How to Maintain Your Cupcake Carrier
Now, most cupcake carriers are dishwasher safe, but some options require a different kind of cleaning to prevent the breeding of bacteria, mold, and other germs that can potentially be harmful. Proper maintenance is also important because it can improve the lifespan of your cupcake carrier.
This one can be tricky. Most plastic-made options are safe to use with a dishwasher. However, some options are not. Some labels will say that the cupcake carrier container is safe to clean in a dishwasher, but then again, only the lid is safe. Make sure to read the product label to inform yourself about potential problems with cleaning.
Some are dishwasher safe, but some can only be washed with lukewarm water and a proper detergent. Washing by hand is the safest way to avoid the small cupcake leftovers that could leave a poor smell in the container.
However, be careful, some cupcake carriers have a poor-quality lid and plastic which can easily break. Wash carefully and store away carefully too. That’s why the safest way to clean cupcake carriers by hands is to use a soft soap and detergents. Some chemicals may be too harsh on cupcake carriers and damage the material.
What About Storing?
After you finished washing the cupcake carrier, ensure to leave it in a spacious place where it won’t be compromised by other kitchen appliances. Storage is even easier if you have a collapsible carrier. As we said earlier, some cupcake carriers may be made out of poor quality plastic, which may leave it fragile when pushed against other dishes.
The Best Cupcake Carriers
We highlighted the most commonly found types and features in the cupcake carriers. Now, let’s get onto reviews and help you find a cupcake carrier that will correspond to all your demands.
1. Best Overall: Snapware Snap ‘N Stack 2-Layer Cupcake Carrier
When picking the best cupcake carrier option that will work for all types of cupcakes, we considered a great variety of features mentioned above. That said, there are countless reasons why Snapware Snap ‘N Stack 2-layer cupcake carrier is the best option for us. Here’s our detailed review.
- Multipurpose and multiple-use cupcake carrier with a lifetime warranty and super-long lifespan.
- Removable trays, which makes it compatible with muffins, brownies, and even cakes.
- It boasts a two-tier design with support for up to 24 cupcakes, with reversible trays.
- Lock tab mechanism which keeps the cupcakes securely in.
- BPA-free plastic which makes it safe to wash in the dishwasher, and store pretty much anywhere.
- It comes with two options, smaller and larger.
First of all, this is a convertible carrier. Not only will it accommodate up to 24 cupcakes in its storage, but you can also use it for other cookies like muffins and brownies. Additionally, as per the specification, you’ll be able to fit a quarter-sheet cake, which is a great multipurpose option.
How does it do that? The trays are removable and reversible. That said, if you don’t want to carry cupcakes but want to deliver brownies, all you have to do is either reverse or remove the tray and place the brownies the way you want.
The cupcake carrier is safe and secure because it comes with locking tabs. You don’t have to worry about your inquisitive toddler taking a grab of them, or losing them while on the way to transfer them. There are two options, larger and smaller. Although our review unit is larger, both will meet all your demands.
Lastly, another thing that’s worth noting is that it’s made out of extremely sturdy BPA-free plastic, which makes it a better option for durable and healthy use. You can wash it in the dishwasher, while also storing it in the refrigerator and freezer, as well as microwave if you need it.
Drawbacks And Notes:
- It can’t hold larger muffins or cupcakes, it’s suitable for smaller or middle-sized options.
- It’s not collapsible so you may need to dedicate a special cabin at your home.
2. Runner Up: VonShef Snap and Stack Cupcake Storage Carrier
Our runner up option comes from one of the most notable carriers. It comes in two options, you can settle for a 3-tier or 2-tier option. They can take 36 and 24 cupcakes respectably. Each layer can contain up to 12 cupcakes.
- It comes in two options 2-tier and 3-tier cupcake carriers, each storing 24 and 36 cupcakes.
- It has a removable layer so you can fit other types of cookies.
- It can store a lot of cupcakes
- Durable plastic which protects crashing and it’s dishwasher safe.
- The safe locking mechanism that allows you to keep cupcakes secure.
- It can be used for multipurpose and can be used multiple times.
The carrier is extremely lightweight and portable. That means that you can easily take it anywhere with you without worrying. It is made out of durable plastic which helps you wash it easily. Additionally, all parts are dishwasher safe.
You can use it for multipurpose. The two-layer option can host up to two cakes if they are not too large and placed properly. There is also a locking mechanism that allows your cupcake to remain fresh and delicious.
Drawbacks And Notes:
- It may not be the best of ideas to put it in the freezer or microwave.
- It’s not collapsible.
- The 3-layer option may be more expensive.
3. Best Budget: Wilton Ultimate 3-In-1 Cupcake Caddy and Carrier
You don’t have to buy expensive cupcake carriers to store your favorite cookies and cakes and transfer them.
- Multipurpose and it can be used multiple times.
- Can store up to 12 standard-size cupcakes and 24 small cupcakes.
- Great value for the price.
- Safe locking mechanism which keeps the trays and lid in place.
- It’s lightweight and portable and with that, easy to carry.
Wilton 3-in-1 cupcake caddy and carrier will keep your cupcakes safe and secure, and easy to travel. This multi-colored box can house up to 12 standard-size cupcakes or 24-mini cupcakes.
There are no tiers, and there are several limitations in the sense that this material isn’t suitable for dishwashers. Nevertheless, this carrier and caddy will safely store all your cupcakes, without plasticky and unpleasant smells. The option comes with a special base lock mechanism that holds trays and lid fixed in one place, without unpleasant experiences.
Drawbacks And Notes:
- There is no tiered design.
- Can’t collapse
- You can’t wash it in the washing machine.
4. Best 3-tier Cupcake Carrier: Sweet Creations 3 Tier Cupcake Carrier
Whether you need a cupcake carrier for display or transport, Sweet Creation got you covered.
- It is a relatively affordable 3-tier option.
- It’s collapsible, which makes it eligible for easy storage and transport.
- Made out of BPA-free plastic which makes it suitable for dishwashers.
- It can host up to 24 cupcakes, and 40 cake pops.
- Round design.
- It’s convenient for transport and display due to its round shape.
This 3-tier carrier has a little different design than the one we displayed earlier. For one, it can’t hold up to 36 cupcakes. Instead, it can handle 24. However, if you are making cake pops, this option has you covered because it can host up to 40.
It’s made out of BPA-free plastic. That means the carrier is safe in the dishwasher, as well as the freezer and microwave. It is also collapsible, which means that it’s extremely easy for the store. It also has a portable profile, which makes it suitable for long-distance travel. There is also a convenient lock that prevents any damage to them. All you have to do is snap it.
Drawbacks and Notes:
- It can only host up to 24 cupcakes. That is less than most of the other options with 3 tiers.
- The lock mechanism isn’t as good, making the cupcakes tumble.
5. Best Large Cupcake Carrier: Cupcake Courier Cupcake Carrier
If you’re looking for a sturdy, robust and large cupcake carrier, here’s the cupcake courier, consisting of three layers with a sturdy design.
- A great option if you’re making many cupcakes or opt for larger ones.
- Its stylish design is suitable for parties and other formal events
- Has a robust design and handle for easy transport.
- It is multipurpose and can be used with other types of cookies.
- It’s dishwasher-friendly
- Trays are removable.
- Extremely safe lock design.
- It can hold up to 36 cupcakes
You can transport up to 36 cupcakes with ease, as well as muffins. It also boasts a powerful handle which makes carrying portable and easy.
It is compatible with the vast majority of cookie sheets, which helps transform carrier layers into the different surfaces, making it easier to carry other types of cookies such as muffins or brownies. The company even offers some of their own, although they are sold separately.
You can either clean it by handwashing or stuffing the dishwasher by removing the layers. Be vary, however. Some of the dishwashers may not be spacious enough to fit it, as it’s a larger option.
Drawbacks And Notes:
- It is a little pricier
- It doesn’t collapse like some other options.
Features to Consider When Shopping for The Best Cupcake Carriers
Every cupcake carrier comes with special specifications that make it stand out compared to the others. Everyone has different preferences, but to decide whether some cupcake carrier is good for you, it’s important to look at the different features they offer. Let’s dive in!
Earlier we said that there are various types of cupcake carriers to consider, some of them have multiple tiers, some of them are only for one-time use, while some can collapse to save space.
We’ll mention that throughout this buying guide. Choosing the type helps you decide how often you make cupcakes, and how many. That’s why it’s important to choose whether you want a durable option or a disposable option.
If you don’t make cupcakes often, and not many in quantities, a single-tier cupcake carrier will work perfectly for you. However, if you make from 12 to 24 per hour, a two-tier option would be better. If you make more than 36 cupcakes per tour, a three-tier design would suit you the best.
There are many benefits of using tiered carriers because if you make presentable and unique designs, they won’t overlap and you won’t have to deal with mixed and ruined designs that you won’t know how to explain to your friends.
That said, if you work with unique designs, multiple colors, and decorations, and make a lot of cupcakes in the process, go for a larger design. It’s worth noting some options can hold more than three tiers, but those are usually not cupcake carriers but cupcake stands.
Capacity and tiers are closely related. The more tiers there are the larger is the capacity. Capacity is extremely important because it can determine how many cupcakes will fit in the box.
It’s important to be careful with how many you store. Even if you can fit multiple cupcakes into smaller stores, it doesn’t mean that it’s durable enough to handle more weight and capacity. Some people who don’t make a lot of cupcakes opt to get a single tier that can fit from 12 to 15 cupcakes.
Standard max is about 36 cupcakes per carrier, so if you want to make a lot of them, you should consider the cupcake carriers with more capacity.
Cupcake carriers are usually made out of plastic. But, it shouldn’t just be any plastic, as we know it’s not the most harmless material in the world. The best material to use for cupcake carriers is a food-friendly plastic, that is robust, sturdy, and durable. Disposable cupcake carriers are made out of flimsy material that isn’t meant to last long or handle a lot of cupcakes unless designed for it.
Are They Collapsible?
If you have a limited kitchen space, getting a collapsible container would be the best option. Not only does it save more space, but it also protects the material from being damaged from other dishes.
Durability determines how long will your cupcake carrier last. As mentioned earlier, cupcake carriers are made mostly out of plastic. If their capacity is often overcome, you’ll face a situation where it could break. That’s why the holder needs to be made out of sturdy and durable material. If you use them often, you’ll see that the lifespan is shortened. If you don’t make cupcakes often, even the disposable holder works.
Some of the notable brands worth mentioning includes Cuisineart, VonShef, Snapware, Wilton, and others.
Is it Removable?
Some cupcakes have a special removable panel that can be used when you want to store more or fewer cupcakes. This feature helps save space when you don’t want to use multiple tiers to transfer cupcakes from one place to another.
Some cupcake carriers that have removable panels also mean that they can transfer other types of pastry and cookies, including muffins, chocolate chip cookies, and sometimes even cakes. Usually, those that are meant to transfer the cakes also have a different shape.
Cupcake carriers come in different shapes. They are mostly square or in the shape of a rectangle so that they can accommodate other types of cupcakes and different quantities. However, some manufacturers get creative and boast boxes in different shapes such as cupcake shape, triangular, and round. Usually, multipurpose carriers will be round so that they can accommodate round cakes too.
Lastly, here’s a special feature worth considering. Just to be extra sure and secure, a good cupcake carrier should come with a lock system that would mean extra safety when it comes to transferring the cup or protecting the cupcakes from other children.
Note: Another thing we’d like to point out is that there are cupcake carriers that are designed to carry small cupcakes, while there are also those made for larger cupcakes. Always be sure to read the specification, so you don’t mistakenly buy the carrier for small cupcakes and limit the storage.
We Also Reviewed
6. Best Collapsible Cupcake Carrier:
- It’ll keep the cupcakes fresh for the longest of times.
- It can come with kitchen accessories to make it much easier.
- Easy to tier up and fold the cupcake carrier to make it collapsible and save space
- It can host up to 24 cupcakes
Living in limited space has some requirements. If you want to save space in your kitchen, using a collapsible cupcake carrier is the key. This option can hold up to 24 cupcakes, as well as other sweets such as 10-inch round cake.
Drawbacks And Notes:
- It doesn’t look like it’s made of the same durable materials as the other options we reviewed.
7. Best 36 Cupcake Carrier: DuraCasa Cupcake Carrier
- It can store up to 36 cupcakes in three tiers (layers)
- Secure construction makes it easy to care for and even clean it with ease
- You can clean it in the dishwasher.
- BPA-free plastic construction
For those who love making a lot of cupcakes, this three-tier cupcake carrier is like a dream come true for every kitchen or patisserie.
Drawbacks And Notes:
- Although it’s sturdy, it doesn’t collapse.
- No secure enough lock lid system could protect it from tumbling around.
8. Best Disposable Cupcake Carrier: Leano Line Cupcake Carrier
- The material is sturdy, including the durable oriented polystyrene (OPS)
- It can support up to 6 cups
- Secure packaging and secure fit.
For people who don’t make cupcakes often or work in a bakery or patisserie, using disposable carriers is the best option. A great alternative to sturdy and robust layered cupcake carriers includes the Leano Line cupcake carrier.
Drawbacks And Notes:
- If you try to wash it, they’ll likely lose on their quality. It’s best to throw them away after you finish using them.