Whether you are a gourmand or a chef, you know that there are so many foods around the world. Discovering all of them might take a lifetime, but it is surely worth it.
Most recipes below might be common foods you’ve already heard of, but it might inspire you to elevate your next meals with some various ingredients, fruits, and even spices.
Some of them are popular classics, others are quite rare and exotic. Check out the list below to find out food that starts with H. Let’s see how many you already knew!
In the Post
List of Food That Starts With H
- Hake is a large edible fish.
- Hash is a recipe of potatoes, meat, and onions, all chopped and fried.
- Halloumi cheese is a brined cheese that is often enjoyed grilled.
- Horlicks is a sweet powder used to make hot drinks.
- Hash browns.
- Hot dog
- Hares looks similar to a rabbit and is considered game meat. They are low in fat and are used in many cuisines around the world.
- Hors d’oeuvre is a savory French dish; a synonym would be “appetizer”.
- Honeydew refers to a type of melons.
- Hackberry is a small, dark purple berry with a large pit.
- Honeyberry is another type of berry.
- Himbasha is a bread enjoyed in Ethiopia.
- Hardo bread refers to a hard dough bread.
- Harira is a traditional soup of Maghreb.
- Hakka noodles are made in China by Hakka people; the noodles are yellow and enjoyed with meat, stews, and stir-fries.
- Hummingbird cake is a dessert made of vegetable oil, flour, bananas, pineapple, and pecans.
- Hawawshi consists of minced meat, pepper, onions, parsley, all put between two layers of dough and baked.
- Homity pie is a British veggie pie that consists of onions, potatoes, and leek, all covered with cheese.
- Hertzoggie refers to a small tart with ham and coconut.
- Honey roast chicken
- Horchata is a type of plant-based milk beverage.
- Honey mustard
- Hummus is a dip made of chickpeas, oil, tahini, and other spices.
- Huitlacoche is a filling commonly used in quesadillas.
- Huachinango a la Veracruzana is a dish made of red snapper fish and sauce.
- Huevos rancheros is a meal enjoyed for breakfast and consists of eggs.
- Huarache is a Mexican recipe that contains masa dough and smashed pinto beans, all topped with a wide range of toppings that can include salsa, potato, onions, cilantro, and even meat.
- Hainanese chicken rice consists of seasoned rice, poached chicken, and a chili sauce dipping and cucumber.
- Huauzontles is an edible plant that grows in Mexico. It is usually boiled and added to salads, beef fillets, or others.
- Halva is a sweet treat popular in Asia and the Middle East; it can be flour-based or nut-based.
- Huptul woo is a sweet soup made with walnuts.
- Halo-halo is a dessert enjoyed cold; it is made with evaporated milk and shaved ice.
- Hulatang is a beef soup that contains black pepper and capsicum; it is a Chinese staple dish.
- Hot and sour soup
- Huangqiao sesame cake
- Hokkien mee contains boiled fresh noodles.
- Horioh Mass is a fish curry with mustard.
- Hokey pokey refers to a flavor of ice-cream; it is made with vanilla and small chunks of honeycomb toffee.
- Handwo is a cake made with rice and lentils, enjoyed as a snack or breakfast.
- Hari mutter ka nimona is a type of curry made with green peas.
- Halwasan is a sweet dish made of wheat flour, edible gum, milk, curd, sugar, nutmeg, and topped with dry fruits.
- Haleem is a stew made with lamb, wheat, lentils, and barley.
- Haq Maas is a type of curry made with fish and leafy green veggies.
- Hininy originates from Saudi Arabia and contains dates, butter, brown bread, saffron, and cardamom.
- Haneeth is a meat-based dish enjoyed in Yemen.
- Hilbeh is a dip that contains fenugreek, a herb similar to clover; its seeds taste just like maple syrup.
- Harissa refers to a hot chili paste from Tunisia.
- Hawaij is a mixture of Yemeni ground spice often used for soups.
- Habanero pepper
- Hush puppy refers to a deep-fried small ball made with cornmeal-based batter
- Haggis is a dish that contains sheep’s or calf’s viscera, suet, oatmeal, onions, all boiled inside the animal’s stomach.
- Hallah is a type of bread made with eggs.
- Hardbake is actually a sweet treat made with almonds, butter, and molasses.
- Hardtack is a type of biscuit or bread; it is unsalted and very hard.
- Haslet is a meatloaf made with pork and herbs; its origins can be traced back to Lincolnshire.
- Headcheese is a sausage or jellied loaf that contains chopped head meat of pigs or calves.
- Hoecake comes from the indigenous population in North America and is a thin cake made of cornmeal.
- Hollandaise is a sauce made with butter, eggs, and lemon juice, similar to mayo.
- Hotchpotch is a dish made with meat and veggies.
- Husk tomato is a tomato-like fruit.
- Hyssop is a shrub consumed for its numerous properties, such as cough reliever and expectorant.
- Hoison sauce is an Asian recipe that includes chili, soybeans, garlic, and fennel.
Let’s check out a few more interesting recipes!
Exotic Recipes for Food That Starts With H
Hawawshi is a sandwich-like Egyptian dish. It was created by a butcher, Ahmed al-Hawawsh, who made the sandwich in 1971. He started to sell it and the sandwich was greatly enjoyed by the locals in Cairo, quickly reaching the entire country.
Hawawshi is made with pita bread, a very popular type of bread across the Middle East. The typical ingredients include onions, ground beef, bell peppers, and parsley. Different seasoning is added, such as paprika, cumin, or even chili. The flatbread is topped and then baked in the oven.
This dish is now a common type of street food, but it can also be prepared at home for a quick and delicious breakfast or dinner. You can associate the sandwich with a large salad and tahini with lemon juice, pickles, and garlic.
Harira is usually enjoyed during Ramadan. It is a staple food that consists of tomato-based soup enjoyed with dates, and honey-soaked chebakya (deep-fried pastry dough). The national soup of Morocco often consists of lentils, rice, or vermicelli noodles to thicken it up.
As with most of the dishes from Moroccan cuisine, cooking harira takes some time. Firstly, chickpeas are soaked, lentils are separated, while tomatoes must be spiced thoroughly with fresh herbs and spices.
Everything is blended and cooked until it reaches the perfect thickness. The term “harira” comes from Arabic and can be translated to “smooth”, which defines the consistency of the soup, despite the fact that it contains rice or noodles.
A serving of harira has about 138 calories. The choice of fresh herbs and seasoning adds flavor and health benefits, while its increased content of tomatoes helps to enjoy a calorie-conscious twist, ideal for tomato lovers.
3. Hummingbird Cake
The hummingbird cake is very popular in American pastry history, most popular in the southern states. Despite this, the hummingbird cake comes from Jamaica.
It is a layered cake that can have up to four delicious layers. The recipe often calls for nuts, fruits, and different spices. The delicious cake is usually baked for special occasions, such as holidays or celebrations.
The soft and flavorful texture is created using pineapple, bananas, and lemons, similar to carrot cake. In addition to this, it also includes coconut and pecans, while the entire mix is generously spiced with vanilla and cinnamon. In many cases, this Hummingbird Cake is topped with cream cheese icing.
The cake does not contain added sugars, so it can be a healthy choice for a sweet treat. Its sweetness comes from banana and pineapple, and it is dairy- and gluten-free if you choose to enjoy it without the cream cheese icing. Typically, a portion has about 350 calories.
4. Huachinango a la Veracruzana
The famous recipe comes from Veracruz. The “huachinango” word is the word used in Mexico for red snapper fish, which is found in the Gulf of Mexico and prepared fresh. The recipe further calls for ripe tomatoes and the spicy Jalapeno, crafting the beautiful Mexican identity of the huachinango a la Veracruzana.
Once everything is chopped up, the fish and the rest of the ingredients are baked for less than half an hour. It is a true symbol of Veracruz, combining pre-colonial Mexico and Spanish cuisine. The huachinango a la Veracruzana further calls for olives, capers, and peppers. It is enjoyed with white rice and roasted potatoes.
All in all, there are numerous delicious foods that start with H. No matter how picky you are, we are sure you will discover some interesting new recipes on this list. There is a wide array of ingredients and ways of cooking usual ingredients for a flavorful twist. You can now start a flavorful exploration of foods from all around the world!