Exploring food and different cuisines around the world can be a beautiful adventure. There are virtually endless food options, ingredients, recipes, and many more. If you are searching for foods that start with the letter “w”, you need to check out the next sections. These delicious snacks, dishes, ingredients, and other food items are surely worth your time. Let’s start!
In the Post
A Lengthy List of Food That Starts with W
- White turnip
- Whelks refer to different types of sea snails cooked with various spices.
- Walnut cake
- Worcester sauce
- Wurst sausage
- Waldorf salad is made with fresh apples, celery, walnuts, grapes, and mayonnaise.
- Whitebait refers to tender white fish cooked with various seasonings.
- Wakame is an edible seaweed.
- Westphalian ham is a delicacy made of corn-fed pork.
- Witloof refers to chicory.
- William pear
- Watery rose apple
- Wax apple
- Wolfberry is popular in Asia and it is also known as goji.
- Wild peach
- Winter melon
- Whitebark is a small fruit that becomes almost black when it is ripe.
- Wood-apple is a sweet or sour berry.
- Waterblommetjiebredie is a dish popular in South Africa that consists of lamb and waterblommetjies flowers.
- White soup comes from Nigeria and is made with uziza leaves, salt, and yam cubes.
- Wat is a curry made of beef, chicken, lamb, and various veggies and spices.
- Welsh rarebit is a cheese sauce.
- Wrap roti is a dish that consists of filling a paratha roti or dhal puri with curry, potatoes, and meats.
- Whiting is a type of fish, often cooked with different spices.
- Wiener Schnitzel
- White coconut chutney is a fragrant dish made with chili, fresh coconut, water, ginger, and chana dal.
- Wontons are Chinese dumplings.
- Wheat laddoo is a dish found in India, made of ghee, sugar, and wheat flour.
- West Java is an Indonesian salad that consists of bean sprouts, long beans, cucumbers, and spicy peanut sauce.
- Wasabi is a Japanese green sauce commonly served with sushi, but also other foods.
- White chocolate brownies
- Wagon wheels are a type of cookie.
- Wisconsin cheese
- Wheatgrass refers to the first leaves on the wheat plant and it is consumed as juice, but also as a dietary supplement or ingredient due to its high content of proteins, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants, among others.
- White rice
- White chocolate does not contain any cocoa, unlike other types of chocolate, such as dark or milk chocolate; it is only made with cocoa butter, sugar, milk solids, and vanilla.
- Winter Squash is harvested and eaten during winter.
- Wild Rice is actually more similar to corn; it is gluten-free, rich in protein, and has a nutty aroma when cooked.
- Wild Leek
- Waffle fries
- White Aspen fruits are found in Australia and have a citrusy flavor with a hint of eucalyptus.
- Wild Strawberry
- White Wine Vinegar
- Wattleseeds are used to create a spice that tastes like coffee, ideal for any chocolate desserts.
- Water Spinach
More about Food That Starts with W
Here are a few more exotic foods and some interesting facts, recipes, and tips!
1. White Coconut Chutney
Coconut chutney is a nutritious Indian condiment and side dish. The classic recipe calls for freshly grated coconut, chilies, and ginger. Crunchy fritters are usually topped with coconut chutney for a tasty finish.
The chutney contains healthy fats found in coconut (MCT, or Medium Chain Triglycerides) which helps with weight loss, along with high content of lauric acid that regulates the cholesterol levels.
One tablespoon of coconut chutney may have about 45-50 calories, so it’s best to be enjoyed in moderation.
2. Wiener Schnitzel
Wiener Schnitzel dates back to the 19th century and it is one of the most popular dishes in Austria. It can be translated to “Viennese cutlet”. It is a thin veal cutlet, breaded and pan-fried, and served with a fresh slice of lemon, along with green salad, cucumber salad, or German potato salad.
The words “wiener schnitzel” are protected by the Austrian law and assure you that the meat is a veal cutlet. Wiener Schnitzel can also be found as a cheaper alternative that uses pork, known as Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein, but there are numerous other recipes that also use chicken, beef, pork, mutton, turkey, and even boar or reindeer.
Schnitzels and other fried foods are not suitable for people who want to lose weight. For instance, only one schnitzel can contain more than 500 calories.
This does not include the side which, in the case of German potato salad, can add another 300 calories to the meal. For a healthier alternative, you can choose green salad as it comes with numerous vitamins and minerals from fresh veggies.
Whiting fish does not refer to all white fish varieties. In fact, it is strictly either pacific whiting, sand whiting, or trumpeter whiting.
The fish is a small member of the cod family, with a similar flavor, but it is more sustainable and economical. Its flesh is lean and light, ideal for a weight loss program. If the fish is cooked for a long time, the delicate meat can become mushy.
Fish is generally a healthy food choice and a great source of lean protein. Fortunately, whiting is naturally low in mercury. For ideas on how to cook this delicious fish for you and your family, you can check out this page. The fish has approximately 100 calories per portion.
4. Wrap Roti
The wrap originated in Southern Trinidad more than 80 years ago, and it was invented by Sackina Karamath. The purpose was to create a quick, delicious meal that can be consumed on-the-go. It typically consists of tawa-cooked dhal puri roti filled with potatoes, curries, or even meat.
Nowadays, the dish is very common in the Caribbean and it can also be found with different fillings, including spinach, pumpkin, shrimp, goat, chutneys, and hot sauces. Depending on the filling, the wrap roti can be highly nutritious and low on calories. For a delicious and uplifting chicken roti wrap, click here.
Wakame is an edible seaweed that has a special texture and flavor, and it is one of the three most common varieties of seaweed in Japan.
Although it can be eaten on its own, Wakame is usually added to miso soups, salads, stir fry dishes, and other foods.
Similar to other seaweed, wakame is a nutritious ingredient and is also environmentally sustainable. The carb content is very low, and there is almost no fat in this seaweed.
However, it can boost your protein intake, depending on how much you eat. This seaweed is rich in iodine, so two tablespoons of wakame have almost three times the recommended daily intake for adults.
Finally, wakame contains fucoxanthin, a carotenoid that is believed to have numerous health advantages. It is not only considered a weight loss aid, but also a potential treatment for cancer, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and many other chronic conditions.
6. Waterblommetjie bredie
Waterblommetjie bredie is a South African dish that consists of lamb stewed with waterblommetjies, the flowers of an aquatic plant. The name means “little water flower stew” and it comes from Afrikaans.
The history of the dish goes back to the Dutch colonists who struggled to cultivate veggies and fruits successfully. Because of this, there was little food available, so they had to turn to whatever fresh veggies and fruits were naturally growing in the area. This is how waterblommetjies were consumed for the first time.
The dish is simple, low in calories and has a high content of minerals and vitamins. All it takes to prepare the dish is the waterblommetjies, salt, onions, white pepper, and lamb or mutton. The flower is similar in texture to artichoke leaves, while the taste leans towards green beans with a lemony hint.
7. White Soup
If you are looking for a delicacy, the white soup must go straight to your shortlist. It is native to Nigeria and perhaps the most flavorful soups you can find in the region. White Soup is the only soup in Nigeria that doesn’t contain palm oil.
All you need to do is thicken the stock with pounded yam and add spices to the mixture. It is nutritious, filling, and delicious. White soup spices can help to improve blood circulation, lower the risk of heart disease, and many more.
Some varieties also require chilies added to the recipe. If you choose to do so, it’s worthwhile to know that capsaicin, the compound that gives chili its spiciness, helps to prevent and treat cough, cold, and flu. In addition to this, it reduces cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
Capsaicin is also a great aid in weight loss because it speeds up your metabolism. As a result, white soup is a quick and nutritious recipe to help your body fight infectious diseases, promote general health and well-being. A typical portion of white soup has only about 82 calories.
This concludes our list of food that starts with W. Some of them are more popular than others, but there are quite some exotic ingredients and dishes, too. We hope that you found the inspiration you’ve been looking for and, perhaps, even decided to try out a few of them!