How extensive is your knowledge of foods? Trust yourself to come up with countless meals beginning with n? From fruits and desserts to main dishes, our list of foods that start with the letter n has it all.
In the Post
Foods That Start With N – a Lengthy List
Some of the foods that start with n are:
- Nectarines – Fruit with a close relationship with plums, cherry, apricot, and almond.
- Nigella Seed – Mainly utilized as condiments and spice in Middle Eastern and Indian cuisines, nigella seeds give your beans, vegetables, and curries remarkable flavor and taste.
- Naan Bread – Leavened flatbread popular in South Asia, Caribbean, and Western Asian cuisines.
- Nori Sheets
- Nashi Pear – Nashi pear is the Asian variety of the pear tree. It is rich in magnesium and fiber.
- Navel Oranges
- Nuts – In the culinary industry, nuts refer to fruits, legumes, or seeds.
- Noodle Soup – Soup that contains macaroni noodles, sliced vegetables, broth, and chicken strips.
- Nutmeg – Spice created from Myristica fragrans seeds and popular for its warm and nutty flavor.
- Nasi Goreng
- Naiyouzhagao – Common delicacy in China.
- Neep (or Turnip)
- Noodles Florentine – Noodles with profuse, soft Florentine alimentary paste.
- Nori Sesame Shrimp Toasts – Bread toast featuring some sesame seeds and shrimp.
- Nacho Bizness
- Nestle Crunch – Chocolate bar featuring crisped rice and milk chocolate.
- Natal Plum – Wild plants that do remarkably well in warm climates.
- Napa Cabbage – Chinese cabbage variety with roots in Beijing.
- Nutmeg Melon – Tiny cantaloupe featuring green flesh with some hues of nutmeg flavor.
- Nacho Ninth
- Nature Valley – Bars made of fruit, nuts, and real grains.
- Nacho Cheese Baked
- Nacho Cheesier Rollitos – Decent, crunchy, and easy-to-grab snacks.
- Nerds – Candies made of different ingredients such as carnauba wax, artificial flavors, corn syrup, malic acid, sugar, and dextrose.
- Nesselrode – A combination of various nuts, maraschino, and fruits majorly utilized in pies, ice cream, and puddings.
- Nutella – Smooth and sweet chocolate spread.
- Nathan’s Famous
- Nestle Drumstick – A frozen dairy dessert that comes in an array of flavors.
- Nantua – Characteristic seafood sauce that is made by integrating cream and shrimp butter into a basic, sumptuous sauce.
- Newburg sauce – Rich cream sauce whose ingredients comprise of cream, butter, and egg yolks.
- Nankhatai – Shortbread biscuits with roots in Pakistan and Northern India.
- Negus – Warm drink that is made from wine or port. Sugar, orange, lemon, and water are the essential ingredients.
- Nashi Pear
- Nasi Goreng – Fried rice containing vegetables and meat.
- Navel Oranges – Seedless and sweet variety of oranges.
- Navy Beans – Tiny white beans that you can either consume on their own or use to make stews or soups.
- Neufchatel Cheese – Commercial type of cream cheese with lower fat content.
- Nonpareil – Ornate confection comprising of small balls made from honey and starch.
- Northern Pike
- Nougat – Mix of confections made by sugar or honey coupled with whipped eggs roasted nuts.
- Nutritional Yeast
- Nopalitos salad – Mexican salad that features strip highlights of pear cactus pads immersed in vinegar-based dressing coupled with other vegetables.
- Nabisco Cookies – Just like their name suggests, Nabisco cookies are simply cookies branded in Canada.
- Nestle Fruit Selection Yogurt – Yogurt featuring fruit from the brand Nestle.
- Netted Melon – Melon variety featuring a thin rind coupled with green sweet flesh and reticulated surface.
- Neopolitan Ice Cream – Ice cream with different flavors (strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla) arranged along with each other in one container.
- Nettle Tea – Herbal tea is handy at eradicating pain related to sore muscles and arthritis.
- Navy Bean Soup – Soup made from navy beans.
- Noodles – Noodles are a simple snack that can be made from rice flour, potato flour, or buckwheat flour.
Foods That Start With N – If You’d Like to Cook
1. Neep (or Turnip)
This is a vegetable root popularly present in temperate climatic conditions throughout the world.
Its fleshly taproot makes it an important ingredient in many meals. Its leafy greens and turnip are both tasty and highly nourishing.
In terms of nutritional value, neep is rich in an array of vitamins and minerals. They include manganese, potassium, and magnesium. It has 28 calories.
Awesome recipe: Neep recipe
If your doctor has recommended that you take blood thinners like warfarin, it is prudent to avoid taking this meal.
This is because the vitamin K contained in the food plays an important role when it comes to blood clotting hence might come in the way of your prescription.
Secondly, since it is a nitrate, those with cardiovascular issues would be better if they avoid taking it.
These herbaceous flowering plants also go by the term nasturtium or Tropaeolum. The annual and perennial plant is popular for its colorful flowers. Different species include orange, red and yellow varieties. The plant’s lushly round leaves are eatable and sumptuous.
Nasturtium leaves and petals contain high vitamin C levels and an array of other nutrients. On top of that, taking it can boost your immune system thus helping you combat sore throats, colds, and coughs. It is also handy for clearing sinuses and stuffy nose.
It has 11 calories.
Awesome recipe: Nasturtium recipe
Warnings: Although it is safe for adults, you should refrain from giving nasturtium to kids as it can cause stomach upsets.
Not much information exists regarding its use by expectant women. Therefore, it is prudent to be on the safe side by avoiding taking it altogether.
Nachos is a meal with roots in Mexico. It is simply a mix of oozing cheese, salty chips that come in liquid or shredded form coupled with different optional toppings such as salsa, meat, sour cream, guacamole, and beans. One thing is for sure with this meal, it provides a texture and taste explosion in each bite.
The tex-mex a darling of many from Northern Mexico comprises tortilla chips or totopos. Some melted cheese is utilized to cover the dish.
In most restaurants and homes, it is served as a snack or appetizer. More elaborate nachos versions comprise of other ingredients that ensure they are important to be the main meal.
Regarding their nutritional value, nachos contain high levels of fiber and protein. It has 306 calories.
Awesome recipe: Nachos recipe
Warnings: The main drawback about this hearty Mexican meal is that it is a disreputable calorie bomb. According to WebMD, the tons of chips and hips of cheese coupled with sour cream are notorious for increasing your calorie intake and making you fat.
4. Nutritional Yeast
Nutty and cheesy, nutritional yeast is simply a deactivated form of yeast rich in nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. Without a doubt, it is the most addictive popcorn topping in the world. Undeniably, you must have it in your pantry.
It is best sprinkled in pasta, roasted veggies, and salads. It is worth noting that this is not cheese but rather dairy-free spicy food seasoning, a darling of vegans. When it comes to the nutritional aspect of nutritional yeast, you can use it to add antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, and proteins into your meals.
It can also be handy in increasing resistance, shrinking cholesterol levels, and cushioning against oxidative harm. It has 60 calories.
Awesome recipe: Nutritional yeast recipe
Warnings: While nutritional yeast is safe for many people, some might suffer from negative reactions particularly those sensitive to yeast. Because of its high niacin and fiber content, it might bring with it facial flushing or digestive discomfort.
Nutritional yeast features tyramine that might cause migraine headaches.
The prudent thing to do would be to introduce it gradually into your meal. If you’re taking supplements, begin with minimal doses to reduce the risks of any undesired side effects.
5. Nasi Goreng
This is simply fried rice in Indonesia. It is popular for its sumptuous taste and rich flavor. Fried eggs make a great accompaniment. Alternatively, some people garnish it with fresh vegetables such as tomatoes, green onions, or cucumber.
This fragrant rice meal which at times you can include prawns and chicken is the definitive comfort dish for the spice lovers. It has 347 calories.
Awesome recipe: Nasi goreng recipe
Warnings: Nasa Goreng is a great meal for spices enthusiasts. However, if you aren’t into spicy foods, you need to skip this one.
Moreover, the meal contains a high amount of calories emanating from carbs and fats. Therefore, if you are grappling with weight issues, it is wise to avoid taking it particularly regularly.
Those with heart conditions should also avoid taking it frequently because of the cholesterol content in eggs.
6. Northern Pike
Northern pike is just a fish meal. There is nothing to it. They make a delicious meal if you prepare them correctly. Some fresh fries or even rice are incredible complements.
Northern pike is a remarkable source of protein that is magical in building and repairing different body parts. The meal is also rich in other important minerals/nutrients like niacin, vitamin B-12, and D as well as selenium.
It has 75 calories.
Awesome recipe: Northern pike recipe
Warnings: Just like many fish species, this one is loaded with mercury meaning you have to take it in small amounts.
In the recent past, seaweed food has undergone a tremendous transformation from the sushi-roll type of staple to a daily snack. A popular seaweed meal in Japanese, Nori refers to edible species of seaweed.
It comprises P. Yezoensis and P. Tenera. The red seaweed changes to green and black when you dry it. What makes it distinct is its distinctive and strong flavor. Many Japanese locals use it as a must-have ingredient in onigiri (dried sheets), wrap rolls, and sushi.
You can prepare and cook it raw with some pepper, salt, and olive oil. Finding raw Nori from your local grocery store can be a tall order. Nonetheless, the dried version of the meal is finally finding its way into supermarkets from health shops.
It is among the most common kinds of snacks particularly because of its health benefits. You can look forward to benefiting from potassium, copper, phosphorus, zinc, and iron by taking this meal.
This 2011 study established that proteins in seaweed serve as an incredible bioactive peptide source compared to milk-related products. What this means is that this meal is remarkable for enhancing better heart health and mitigating blood pressure.
It also boasts high levels of vitamins C/A/B-6. Fiber and iodine are the other good nutrients contained in this meal.
It has 35 calories.
Awesome Recipe: Nori recipes
Warnings: Seaweed meals like nori might have high potassium levels that might make kidney patients weak. High potassium can also cause nausea. Excess vitamin K contained can be a blood thinner.
No this is not a book like many people would be quick to conclude. Napoleon refers to a pastry that consists of different puffy layers with different fillings alternating in the layers. Some of the toppings might be fondant layers of powdered sugar. Most times, it can contain chocolate strings drawn into an impressive chevron style.
The classic Napoleon pastry is undeniably a favorite dessert for many folks. You can slice yours for dessert at night, or a snack in the afternoon, or even for breakfast. The delicate and posh pastry isn’t too sweet. A great attribute of this dessert is that making yours at home is a breeze. You can whip it up almost in a whim.
This one is different from the mille-feuille because one of them comes layered with an almond paste while the other features cream.
It has 818 calories.
Awesome Recipe: Napoleon cake recipe
Warnings: Those keen on shedding their weight should either avoid it or take in strictly small quantities.