Food is extremely varied across the world – it would be a real-life challenge to get to know all of them.
Cuisines are different and most dishes come with flavorful, unique ideas that would surely help you expand your knowledge and even try out some new foods very soon.
Without further ado, let’s find out more about food that starts with R!
In the Post
A List of Food That Starts with R
- Rutabaga is a plant with an edible yellow root.
- Rueben is a type of sandwich with corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese; it is enjoyed hot and it is made with rye bread.
- Rack refers to the ribbed portions of veal, pork, mutton, or beef.
- Roux is a popular mixture of flour and fats used to thicken sauces.
- Radicchio describes different chicory plants with red leaves.
- Roulade is either a savory dish (meat rolled around the filling) or a dessert (dough rolled around a sweet filling).
- Ragout is a stew of veggies and meats, slowly cooked, and it is a French dish.
- Raita is an Indian recipe made with yogurt, cucumbers, and spices.
- Rose petals are edible and can be used for preserves and other recipes.
- Ramekin is a dish made of eggs, cheese, and breadcrumbs.
- Rye bread
- Romaine lettuce
- Rarebit refers to a toast topped with melted cheese and beer or ale.
- Rollmops is a pickle wrapped in a pickled herring fillet.
- Red cabbage
- Roe is a type of fish eggs used in different recipes.
- Rissole refers to minced meat or fish, dipped in eggs and breadcrumbs, and then deep-fried.
- Ribier is a type of grape in California.
- Rambutan fruit grows in the Malayan tree.
- Romanova is a soup in Madagascar made of beef and pork, veggies, and slow-cooked.
- Rolex is a Ugandan dish that consists of veggies and eggs wrapped in a chapati.
- Red peas soup
- Rag pudding contains minced meat and onions inside a suet pastry which is steamed or boiled.
- Romesco is a sauce that contains roasted garlic, almonds or hazelnuts, olive oil, dried red peppers.
- Ragu Alla Bolognese is a sauce often eaten with pasta and consists of tomatoes and mince.
- Roquefort is a type of blue cheese.
- Roast pork is a traditional English dish and is served with apple sauce.
- Roast lamb is an English dish that has mint sauce.
- Ratatouille is a combination of veggies and seasoning.
- Rigatoni is a type of pasta.
- Ricotta cheese
- Run dun refers to a Jamaican fish stew that contains onions, garlic, coconut milk, and tomatoes and is cooked until it thickens.
- Ravioli is a type of Italian pasta similar to a dumpling and can have different savoury fillings.
- Red Leicester cheese
- Rongi is a curry with black eye peas, tomatoes, and onions.
- Rajma is an Indian dish that contains red kidney beans served in a thick gravy.
- Rijsttafel refers to a parade of small plates with different dishes.
- Rama tori subji is a dish that can be made with any two veggies.
- Ross il forn is a Maltese dish that consists of greased, baked rice.
- Rizogalo is a rice pudding.
- Romeritos is a Mexican dish that consists of seepweed and is served with mole sauce and blended shrimp jerky.
- Rajas con crema is another Mexican dish that contains sliced poblano pepper and cream.
- Ramen is a Japanese dish that consists of a rich and hearty broth and noodles.
- Romanesco broccoli
Recipes and More about Food That Starts with R
Rajma means “red kidney beans” in Indian. These are the main part of Indian cuisine and they are rich in fiber and protein.
Rajma chawal is loved by locals living in North India where rajma masala is enjoyed with chawal (rice). The simple dish is beautifully completed by a couple of wedges of onion and lemon on the side and is commonly served on weekends or special occasions.
Red kidney beans used for this dish are very healthy and high in fiber, keeping you full for longer. In addition to this, they support digestive health and are rich in magnesium and folate. One serving of rajma typically has about 230 calories, so it is a delicious vegetarian dish.
For the fans of the movie with the same title, Ratatouille might be quite familiar. It originates from Nice and Provence, and the word originally referred to a motley stew.
In military slang, “rata” is a combination of potatoes, beans, fatty meat, and different vegetables.
This is the basis of the military food plan, both quick and simple to make. It contains a wide range of nutritious veggies, such as onions, eggplants, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic. It is a generic recipe, so there are many variations to it.
Ratatouille can be the perfect comfort food you need on a cold day. It nourishes your body but also soothes your soul and mind. It can be matched with salads, soups, quinoa, or any veggie dish.
It also freezes well, so it is best to cook a larger batch in advance. Since it is made of veggies, it is rich in minerals and vitamins.
Ravioli is a part of authentic Italian cuisine. It has gained popularity around the world due to its rich flavor; it typically looks like a small dumpling filled with cheese, meat, or vegetables sealed between two layers of egg pasta dough.
Ravioli is often accompanied by a cream- or tomato-based sauce. Often, ravioli is the main course, but it is frequently enjoyed as an appetizer or side dish, too.
A popular modern twist on the classic ravioli is the deep-fried or baked one, while the first ravioli became a staple food during the 14th century.
In ancient times, these were enjoyed every Friday. A homemade ravioli filled with cheese and topped with tomato sauce can have about 50 calories, so it’s best to eat as a part of a balanced meal.
If you are a fan of pasta, there is a high chance that you’ve seen Rigatoni before. It is a tube-shaped pasta, slightly larger than ziti and penne.
The name is derived from the Italian word “rigati” which can be translated to “ridged”, describing the appearance of the pasta.
Rigatoni is excellent with numerous types of sauces: smooth, creamy, or chunky. A delicious take on rigatoni is when the tube of the pasta is filled with cheese or another soft ingredient.
Since rigatoni is boiled, it is lower in calories than other fried foods. However, it is rich in carbs and has about 160 calories in one cup of cooked rigatoni.
This is one of the most interesting foods that start with R. The origin is unclear because the concept was born when the Dutch colonists went to Indonesia.
Essentially, rijsttafel is not a dish in itself, but rather a parade of small dishes – while the concept can be considered Dutch, the foods served are actually of Indonesian origin.
Rijsttafel usually contains different dishes similar to nasi padang, an Indonesian recipe made with rice, multiple types of meat, and different veggies, all dipped in hearty sauces.
The concept of rijsttafel was born so that the Dutch colonists could sample as many Indonesian dishes as possible. If you want to try out some traditional dishes served as part of rijsttafel, you can check out Sambal Goreng Telor, Beef Rendang, Tempeh Blado, and Pisang Goreng.
6. Rajas con Crema
Rajas con crema is a Mexican recipe that contains sliced poblano peppers and cream. Rajas mean “strips”, so the name literally means strips with cream. It is a very popular dish in Mexica, and it is commonly enjoyed during taquizas or taco parties.
The dish is served hot and is typically made of roasted and sliced peppers, onions, cream, and melted cheese. It is a hearty, comforting addition to a lunch or dinner and can be eaten on top of a warm flour tortilla.
Also, it can be enjoyed as an appetizer along with homemade tortilla chips. Different recipes might add sour cream, cream cheese, or heavy whipping cream, or even fresh corn kernels.
Ramen is an all-time Japanese favorite! It refers to a chewy ramen noodle, but the preparation requires quite some work, unlike the instant ramen versions available in many Western shops.
Ramen is a complex dish because all of its flavor and taste come from the rich broth, not the actual chewy noodles. Japanese chefs usually make a broth of both chicken and pork, leaving bones to simmer for hours with different herbs.
To enhance the taste, they might also add scallions, ginger, garlic, carrots, and onions. Once it’s done, the broth is flavorful, coating each noodle and elevating the dish.
The broth is rich in collagen, so it is an excellent choice when consumed occasionally. A small portion of ramen noodle soup can have about 430 calories.
All in all, these are the most common foods that start with R. Hopefully, there were some good ideas to inspire you to diversify your next meals. Make sure you share them with your loved ones!